Discover how World Kinect Corporation achieved operational efficiency and bolstered security through the seamless migration of Oracle workloads from On-premises to the AWS Cloud. World Kinect Corporation (WKC) is a global energy management company, offering suite of energy advisory, management and fulfillment services, digital and other technology solutions, as well as sustainability products and services across the energy product spectrum. It caters to 160,000+ customers across 200 countries.
Outdated hardware was one of the biggest challenges affecting IT operations at WKC – especially, the unsupported Solaris operating systems, which posed a critical risk of business disruption along with overall security concerns.
Phased Approach: To address the challenge above, it was imperative to transition from the existing On-Premises servers to the more resilient and flexible AWS Cloud Infrastructure services. Few specifics of the process involved:
- Phase 1 - Re-Platform from Solaris to Linux OS
- Phase 2 – Upgrade On-Premises: Oracle Upgrade Include EBS, Databases, WebLogic Stack and Code Refactoring.
- Phase 3 - Cloud Migration to AWS: Lift and Shift workloads to the AWS cloud platform in three waves to eliminate Risk and complexity.
Collaboration for Platform Readiness: The combined effort of our team's timely expert recommendations, factoring in criticality and dependencies and an experience into how the interconnected components function in different environments was instrumental in the successful AWS implementation.
- Increased Scalability & Flexibility: With the migration to cloud AWS, we achieved the ability to respond fast to changing business needs allowing us greater scalability and flexibility.
- Cost Efficiency: Effectively saved over 2.7 Mn in cost with pay-as-you-go pricing structure and better operational capabilities for WKC.
- Performance Optimization and Faster Disaster Recovery: Enhanced performance through careful optimization strategies ensuring high availability and robust disaster recovery solutions.
- Agility & Innovation: Experience simplified management and easy maintenance allowing for better agility and innovation within the processes in the new environment.
- Elasticity for Testing & Development: With AWS, test and development elasticity was enhanced significantly due to robust infrastructure and dynamic resource allocation for auto scaling.